This site is for family, friends, and colleagues of Avner Magen to post their thoughts and memories of him. Avner died in a climbing accident on May 29, 2010, in Alaska.

Avner was a beloved and devoted father, husband and son; a terrifically warm, funny, and energetic person; a brilliant and creative researcher; and a wonderful friend and colleague.

Please share your stories, memories and words of support by sending an email to AvnerMagenMemorial@gmail.com. You may also post comments to any entry. Visit this Photo Site for a photo memorial of Avner and his family and friends. Instructions for adding pictures appear next to the album.

More details appear on the Avner Magen Memorial page.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Anton Piatigorsky

Dear Ayelet, Ro'ee, No'a and Ofri,

Although we first met years ago, only recently did I have
the opportunity to get to know Avner a bit better. During
two recent play dates with Ofri and my son Reuben, I had the
chance to speak at length with him about his work and mine,
our lives, Toronto's old shore line, travel, etc. I liked
him immensely. In the second play date, at your house, just
a couple of weeks before he died, we spoke of Etgar Keret's
stories, among other things, and I was greatly touched when
Avner brought out a collection and proceeded to read me the
story "Second Chance", translating as he read. So rarely
does one adult read to another, especially for such a simple
reason – because he loved a piece of writing and thought I
would enjoy it. I thought it was such a simple and heartfelt
act of generosity on his part.

That story has particular resonance - as clear from the
title. I doubt I'll ever forget it, or his reading. Nor will
I forget him. I was excited by the prospect of my new
friendship with Avner. I'm sick with grief at your loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment