This site is for family, friends, and colleagues of Avner Magen to post their thoughts and memories of him. Avner died in a climbing accident on May 29, 2010, in Alaska.

Avner was a beloved and devoted father, husband and son; a terrifically warm, funny, and energetic person; a brilliant and creative researcher; and a wonderful friend and colleague.

Please share your stories, memories and words of support by sending an email to AvnerMagenMemorial@gmail.com. You may also post comments to any entry. Visit this Photo Site for a photo memorial of Avner and his family and friends. Instructions for adding pictures appear next to the album.

More details appear on the Avner Magen Memorial page.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Costis Georgiou

One could say that a successful supervisor is the one who
- teaches you the state-of-the art in his expertise,
- patiently explains to you what it takes to improve,
- listens carefully to all your problems and surprises you with his
support.
And he did all the above.

But I realized that I have a great supervisor when
- I started writing (anything) on the board by drawing first a
circle, as he did,
- I started writing on the white board holding the pen and
keeping it steady by holding on the board with my little finger,
the way he did,
- I laid back in my chair staring at the ceiling, whenever in
deep thoughts, the way he did,
- I placed my little finger in my mouth, whenever I saw a nice
idea on the board, the way he did,
- I stood with my feet distant from each other and with my
hands in my pockets, whenever involved in an interesting
conversation, the way he did.

Namely, when I started trying subconsciously to be like him.

Avner had a tremendous influence on me. After 5 years with
him, there is one thing though that I did not learn from
him. This is how to resist cold. He was always coming to the
department with light clothes. I still remember our
conversation 2 years ago, in a morning after the coldest
night of the winter. He was proud to announce me that the
night before he slept in his backyard, testing his
equipment!

One last thing that I am proud of. Avner had a terrific
sense of humor. It took me 4 years to learn how to make him
smile with a joke, and it was rewarding. I will always
remember him with that smile.

Teacher and friend, farewell.

1 comment:

  1. My condolences. Even though I have never met you, this post made me feel the connection between you two.

    Just a silent fan of his work.

    ReplyDelete