This site is for family, friends, and colleagues of Avner Magen to post their thoughts and memories of him. Avner died in a climbing accident on May 29, 2010, in Alaska.

Avner was a beloved and devoted father, husband and son; a terrifically warm, funny, and energetic person; a brilliant and creative researcher; and a wonderful friend and colleague.

Please share your stories, memories and words of support by sending an email to AvnerMagenMemorial@gmail.com. You may also post comments to any entry. Visit this Photo Site for a photo memorial of Avner and his family and friends. Instructions for adding pictures appear next to the album.

More details appear on the Avner Magen Memorial page.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Zipi (Fligelman) Shaqed

An experience about 10 years ago in Turkey had convinced me
Avner is not regular when it comes to mortal dangers. We
were in my first and only company retreat and my boyfriend
Ariel had convinced me that we should take a trip over
Antalya in the mountains with Avner and Eyal.

Well, it turned out it was not for the faint of heart.

At our first stop in some obscure stream dominated by a
large bolder, Avner decided to jump in the stream from the
boulder and landed rather badly on a rock.

I was convinced there and then that he is invincible,
because he just missed by a hairline all the pointy "make
yourself permanently crippled" rocks that loomed under the
stream to his left and his right. Not only that but he
continued to travel grimacing here and there due to what I
thought must have been a blow that would have taken most out
of commission. Never stopping but to joke in the most
serious face. We got lost in the mountains that day, with
almost no fuel, no maps and just Avner's Turkish speaking
abilities and charm to get us through unknown paths. Don't
worry except me none of the men there were worried. After
all as Eyal (our able driver) said "We returned and the fuel
tank was not totally empty which is a shame".

So you see Avner got some additional mythical colors in my
eyes ever since then. I mean on top of those I had from my
dealing with Avner and his algorithmic group in Compugen
known as "The Leads Team".

The end of that story includes among other things a f
riendship with the Magen family where I have learned more
about the true charm of both Avner and Ayalet.
I am deeply saddened that such a unique personality has been
taken from us so soon and my heart goes to Ayelet and the
kids. The strength someone who loved us instills in us goes
beyond his life time. I know that from personal experience.

I am sure being the family of Avner you are stronger than
anyone will ever imagine.


יהי זכרו ברוך ע"י הטבע שהוא אהב ואלו שאהבו אותן

--

"Foolery, sir, does walk about the orb like the sun,
it shines every where." - W. Shakespeare, 12th night

No comments:

Post a Comment