This site is for family, friends, and colleagues of Avner Magen to post their thoughts and memories of him. Avner died in a climbing accident on May 29, 2010, in Alaska.

Avner was a beloved and devoted father, husband and son; a terrifically warm, funny, and energetic person; a brilliant and creative researcher; and a wonderful friend and colleague.

Please share your stories, memories and words of support by sending an email to AvnerMagenMemorial@gmail.com. You may also post comments to any entry. Visit this Photo Site for a photo memorial of Avner and his family and friends. Instructions for adding pictures appear next to the album.

More details appear on the Avner Magen Memorial page.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Kaveh Ghasemloo

Life is strange, more strange is death, and it is never expected.
We all know that we all will meet it someday, but no one really knows, when and where. And when a beloved one passes away, one does not know what one can do. One day you are here sitting on a chair, while swimming in your deep thoughts, you give us a friendly smile, as we pass along the way. Who would have suspected, just in a few days, they will tell us, "he has gone away", without even saying a small farewell. I like to think of it as trip to a place far away, and someday when the time comes for us, we will meet you again. But why; if you are so far away, I keep feeling that you are still near us here?

Hi Avner,

I remember asking you "how can you survive in a flat city like Toronto?" as I thought that Toronto is too flat for someone who loves climbing. You explained that there are a few places around Toronto that one can go for climbing. And we continued chatting about Ararat and that you would like to climb Alborz someday. I saw you a few days later in my dream, guiding us in our trip. Your class was fun, and thought provoking, and I deeply enjoyed it. You were already planning your course for next semester, and I told you that I will attend it, without even knowing what it is going to be about. I know that climbing is part of you, and it is difficult for me to think that you would have preferred your last trip to be different, but I just wish we had more time with you. I wish you farewell in your last trip dear Avner.

Dear Ayelet, Ro'ee, No'a and Ofri,

It is unfortunate that I have not known Avner Magen longer, but I know him enough to know that for those who have known him longer, the sorrow is greater. I am deeply sad, but I know my sadness is incomparable to yours. He is a person for whom you can easily feel the peace, purity, and greatness of his heart and his spirit. Please accept my deep condolences.

No comments:

Post a Comment