This site is for family, friends, and colleagues of Avner Magen to post their thoughts and memories of him. Avner died in a climbing accident on May 29, 2010, in Alaska.

Avner was a beloved and devoted father, husband and son; a terrifically warm, funny, and energetic person; a brilliant and creative researcher; and a wonderful friend and colleague.

Please share your stories, memories and words of support by sending an email to AvnerMagenMemorial@gmail.com. You may also post comments to any entry. Visit this Photo Site for a photo memorial of Avner and his family and friends. Instructions for adding pictures appear next to the album.

More details appear on the Avner Magen Memorial page.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Josh Buresh-Oppenheim

Looking back, I find it amazing that I could be so fond of
someone who started our relationship by classifying
everything I said as a cliche. I came to learn that Avner
had a lifelong crusade against cliches, and he truly walked
the walk. As Costis mentioned, it took a long time to find
the key to Avner's sense of humor, but it was absolutely
worth the effort. His way of thinking was completely
foreign to me. He explained things I thought I understood
in a way that inevitably made me realize that I didnÃt
understand them...and that's what made him magical. That
and his energy, whose like I think I'll never see again.

I got this terrible news in Peru, about to embark on a trek
to Machu Picchu that I would never have signed up for if I
hadn't known Avner (although it would definitely be a cliche
hike for him). That's not to say that I thoroughly enjoyed
the handful of outings we took together. In fact, they were
mostly unsuccessful due to weather and gear problems (and my
city slicker personality), but I know that there must be
something deep in these kinds of quests. The proof is
Avner's passion for them. I would give anything to have one
more coffee with him, even if it involved snowshoes.

To Ayelet and the kids, I can't imagine how you must be
feeling, but know that there are many sad people out there
whose support you have whenever and however you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment