This site is for family, friends, and colleagues of Avner Magen to post their thoughts and memories of him. Avner died in a climbing accident on May 29, 2010, in Alaska.

Avner was a beloved and devoted father, husband and son; a terrifically warm, funny, and energetic person; a brilliant and creative researcher; and a wonderful friend and colleague.

Please share your stories, memories and words of support by sending an email to AvnerMagenMemorial@gmail.com. You may also post comments to any entry. Visit this Photo Site for a photo memorial of Avner and his family and friends. Instructions for adding pictures appear next to the album.

More details appear on the Avner Magen Memorial page.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Michelle Craig

Avner and I worked together at UTM where we both taught
computer science, but what I remember most about Avner was
his running. While many professors and students celebrate
the last lecture of each term with a pint at the local pub,
Avner celebrated (at least one term) by treating himself to
a long run along the Credit River. He inspired me to do the
same.

One day I arrived at lunch to find Avner wearing a
particularly goofy pair of shorts. They perhaps would have
looked fine in the summer but it wasn't exactly shorts
weather outside. I don't precisely remember the weather, but
I think we might have had snow on the ground and it was
certainly cold. I pointed at the shorts and asked, "why?"
Avner explained that he was training for a race and had run
the 30-some km from home to Mississauga and mistakenly
thought that he had a pair of pants waiting in his
office. These shorts were an improvement over his stinky
running clothes. I'm not sure if he offered his students any
explanation for his unconventional attire.

Avner, we will miss you at UTM. I'm sad that we never did
make that trip to my cottage to teach my kids to climb and
show yours how to make maple syrup. I'll think of you as I
run along the Credit next December and the following April.

No comments:

Post a Comment