This site is for family, friends, and colleagues of Avner Magen to post their thoughts and memories of him. Avner died in a climbing accident on May 29, 2010, in Alaska.

Avner was a beloved and devoted father, husband and son; a terrifically warm, funny, and energetic person; a brilliant and creative researcher; and a wonderful friend and colleague.

Please share your stories, memories and words of support by sending an email to AvnerMagenMemorial@gmail.com. You may also post comments to any entry. Visit this Photo Site for a photo memorial of Avner and his family and friends. Instructions for adding pictures appear next to the album.

More details appear on the Avner Magen Memorial page.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

James R Lee

I'm not sure I really comprehend yet that Avner has passed from this life. I feel like he was one of my closest academic friends. Thinking back, we might have only spent about a week or two worth of time together, but his remarkable warmth and charm were so compelling that he always felt like an old childhood friend. I used to make sure to walk into conference sessions with Avner so he would have to sit beside me. He was a constant source of insight and wit, and as many others know, he was ruthlessly hilarious. Avnerian sarcasm was truly brilliant - somehow scathing and affectionate at the same time. He was a dedicated father, but also a perennial kid himself. I remember numerous underwater races in hotel swimming pools; Avner wouldn't just win - he would always make sure to hold his breath at least twice as long as me. And I remember his bizarre devotion to Curb your Enthusiasm. Once during a visit to Toronto, Avner arranged a viewing party at his house. There were probably ten of us huddled in his living room around a tiny 13" television, with him grinning ridiculously the whole time. I will miss him. I take some solace in the fact that his kids seem to have inherited a good deal of his charm and sense of humor. I'm sure that Avner will live on through his family and his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment